The protection gap is not one singular figure of insured and uninsured people, but rather a series of gaps existing across different areas of society, said RMS chief research officer Dr Robert Muir-Wood. "It is not also simply the number of potential insureds who are without coverage. It is deeper than that. You can say that 60% of people do not have insurance, but maybe those people have less risk than the remaining 40%. That is why it is more important to measure the risk that is not covered, rather than just the people who are not covered," he said.