Read the latest edition of AIR and MEIR as an Interactive e-book

Dec 2022

Indonesia: Life insurance premium income dips in 1Q2022

Source: Asia Insurance Review | Jul 2022

The Indonesian Life Insurance Association (AAJI) says that the sector saw a fall in revenue in the first quarter of 2022, which was driven by a shift in consumers’ perspective on buying life insurance.
AAJI chairman Budi Tampubolon disclosed that total income dipped by 0.6% to IDR62.3tn ($4.2bn) in the first quarter of 2022, from IDR62.63tn in 1Q2021, according to a report by Bisnis.
“The downward pressure on total income was caused by a decrease in premium income, reinsurance claims and other income. Especially for premium income, on closer inspection, it turns out that there was a shift in customer focus prioritising long-term protection,” he said.
Based on AAJI data, unweighted premium income in 1Q2022 experienced a drop of 14.7% year on year to IDR48.9tn whereas weighted premium fell by 6.8% to IDR27.86tn.
For weighted premium income, regular-premium business dominated in 1Q2022, commanding 91.6% of total premium income. Single-premium business accounted for the remaining 8.4%. Regular premiums of IDR25.51tn were posted for 1Q2022, down by 4.9% year on year. Single-premium business totalled IDR2.35tn, plunging by 23.3% from 1Q2021.
A similar picture can be seen in unweighted premium income, where insurance products linked to investments (PAYDI) saw an 18.9% tumble to IDR29.07tn in 1Q2022 compared to the corresponding quarter in 2021. Traditional life products, with premiums of IDR19.92bn, only decreased by 7.9% year on year.
The number of holders of PAYDI products fell by 8.2% year-on-year in the January-March 2022 period to 6.12m, compared to 1Q2021.
Mr Budi said that the decline in PAYDI sales was due to an increased preference for protection plans. A 

Note that your comment may be edited or removed in the future, and that your comment may appear alongside the original article on websites other than this one.


Recent Comments

There are no comments submitted yet. Do you have an interesting opinion? Then be the first to post a comment.